License of ART simulation tools to generate synthetic next-generation sequencing reads

Hello,

I'm writing you on behalf of the Debian Med team which is a group inside
Debian with the objective to make Debian the best operating system for
medicine and biology.  To do so we have packaged a lot of software for
main Debian.  Feel free to have a look at our so called task biology[1].

Due to our recent effort to do some classification and benchmarking of
biologic tools we try to package simulation tools to generate synthetic
next-generation sequencing reads.  While I can confirm that I finalised
the packaging of ART on a technical level up to manpages for the single
tools[3] which you can take over into your download tarball I have not
found any license of your code neither on the website nor inside the
download archive.  The latter just contains an empty COPYRIGHT file.  To
publish the art-nextgen-simulation-tools package inside Debian a free
license like GPL, BSD or others is required.  Feel free to ask if you
need specific advise.

As an additional hint:  The source downloads you are providing are split
into "source for Linux" and "source for Mac" since you are also adding
the binaries in addition to the source.  This is quite unusual since the
binaries could be downloaded in separate archives from your website.  So
I'd recommend to leave out the binaries (also the *.o files) and stick
to the plain source in a single archive.  Please also make sure its a
real gzipped tar archive.  While the extension is tgz the content is a
plain uncompressed tar.

[1] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio
[2] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#art-nextgen-simulation-tools
[3] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/art-nextgen-simulation-tools.git/tree/debian/mans