Re: [MoM] Re: bart - tools for computational magnetic resonance imaging

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:18:59AM +0000, Uecker, Martin wrote:

> Hi Andreas,

> > > Ok, I created a tar ball using a git archive (which matches what
> > > github does) and then used pristine-tar to check it in.
> >
> > I think this is a misunderstanding.  You should write a debian/watch file
> > (line 22 of this template
> >   https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/package_template/watch?revision=20511&view=markup
> > is your friend) and use the downloaded tarball when importing pristine-tar.
>
> Ok, done.
>
> Please note that there is no difference between downloading
> tar balls from github which uses 'git archive' to create them
> or creating them locally using 'git archive' (with the
> right arguments). This already produces bit-identical results
> (with the same hash)! So there is really no point in downloading
> upstream tarballs from Github when one has a local copy of the git
> repository.

I have no doubt that *Github* can create bit-identical results.
However, I have doubt that you can create from a local clone the
very same tarball.  This is the role of the pristine-tar branch
and currently I can not build bart by the following procedure:

   ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/bart.git
   cd bart
   gbp buildpackage

I simply get diffs between the upstream branch and the orig.tar.gz.
The above should be possible and it becomes possible if you do

   cd bart
   uscan --verbose --force-download
   gbp import-orig --pristine-tar ../bart*.orig.tar.gz

> > You could add these in additional python-bart octave-bart binary
> > packages (sorry, matlab can not be provided as official Debian package).
> > You should read the according pages at wiki.debian.org where to put
> > Python modules (or you just check your local system where these are
> > stored) and Octave files (I never dealt with these but I guess there is
> > a wiki paga as well).  Feel free to ask me if you are struck in the
> > jungle of documentation and I'll provide more specific pointers.
>
> Ok, I have to look at it. There are only very few small scripts,
> so I would rather put it in the same package.

OK, you are the expert here. :-)

> > Another remark to the packaging:  Currently there is a libgsl migration
> > ongoing and you should use libgsl-dev instead of libgsl0-dev.
>
> Done. Although now it doesn't build locally on my Ubuntu machine
> anymore (only using pbuilder in a sid change root).

That's an unfortunate consequence of the transition.