Re: Proper package relationships when a project depends on CBLAS

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 05:49:50PM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> If I use say libopenblas-dev | libatlas-dev, then the generated
> binary package will have a Depends field with either
> libopenblas.so.X or libatlas.so.X. Instead, I should probably have
> libblas.so.X which can be updated via update-alternatives to any of
> these implementations.

Wouldn't build-depending on the reference implementations give you that?
I.e. Build-Depends: libblas-dev.  I'm pretty sure at least ATLAS is a
drop-in replacement, but I have no hands-on experience with OpenBLAS -
a quick tests seems to suggest as well.

So maybe "Build-Depends: libblas-dev | libopenblas-dev" would be a good
choice, which makes sure that the buildds produce a .deb which links
against a generic BLAS, but users can still rebuild the package against
OpenBLAS if they have it available (not sure there is any advantage at
build time, though).

Michael