About backports.

Le Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 03:59:17PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui a écrit :

> Like you indicated, that's not the only concern. On behalf of stable
> release users, I think making a recent version of samtools available in
> stable-backports is important-- I think the backports repository is a
> huge reason why Debian stable is usable for everyday purposes (and it's
> the main reason why I switched to Debian from Ubuntu for my own machines).

Backports are definitely great, and the requirement that a backported package
must have been in Testing is both an asset for the quality and a limitation for
the logistics.  In some cases, Testing migration is completely out of our
control, for instance with the GCC5 migrations currently.

I sometimes wonder if it would be better to have a separate repository for
providing Debian Med packages to Stable users.  Ideally it would be a Debian
PPA, but these are not developed yet.

The big advantage that a separate repository would have over the traditional
backports, is that it would allow us to also distribute some packages for
Stable without rebuidling them, when they pass their regression tests on
Stable.  This would make such a backport archive much more comprehensive.

Cheers,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy