Re: Status of ITK 4.8 packaging

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 16:09 -0400, Paul Novotny wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 11:34 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > 2. I disabled patches/0005-make-gdcm-helper-library-static.patch
> > because it
> > did not apply cleanly.  I did not spend time investigating how to fix
> > it or
> > whether it is even needed.
>
> I just tried this, and the patch appears to apply cleanly for me (maybe
> I am doing something wrong?). Not sure if it is needed, though. From
> the log, it seems to have been added to disable a lintian warning. I
> will try it with and without the patch and see.

The lintian warning started with 4.5.0-3:

* Prefer system install GDCM. Closes: #728121

ITK creates a library to interface with GDCM. If the embedded copy of
GDCM is used, then this library provides all of gdcm, but when using the
system version of GDCM (as started with that upload), then this
interface library is empty, and since originally this is a dynamic
library that gets installed, lintian complains about it.

I'm not sure, but I think the warning was [1]:

     shared-lib-without-dependency-information

By making this library static, the linker doesn't really use it since it
doesn't provide any symbols, and more importantly, it is not included
in the package, hence the lintian warning is silenced.

I was thinking about reporting it upstream, but after searching the bug
tracker today I'm afraid I didn't get around to it.

Hope that clarifies the reason for the patch,

Best,
Gert

[1]
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/shared-lib-without-dependency-information.html