Re: Status of castxml [and ITK] packaging?

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 02:12:05PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> I had actually uploaded it a few days ago -- that's when I added the
> pending tag -- and was waiting for it to clear NEW.

Ahhh, somehow I remember that I have seen it in NEW and today it was
missing there and not in unstable.

> Just before your
> email, I got a response saying I had missed the license of some files.
> I fixed that and re-uploaded it a couple hours ago.  So it is in NEW
> again at the moment.

Sounds good.

> The VCS is git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/castxml.git Since my
> interest in it is for ITK, I chose to put castxml in the Debian-Med
> space on alioth, even though CastXML is not medical software.  If
> people think this is inappropriate, do speak up and I'll move it
> elsewhere.

I consider it *very* appriate and I would have suggested it myself since
the fact that gccxml was in collab-maint moved it a bit out of focus for
our team since we have several dependencies.  This is by far not the
only non-medical predependency of our main targets and thus fully in
line with what we are doing.

> On the topic of git: since the first upload was unsuccessful, I made
> the changes without changing the debian revision, then re-tagged
> revision "-1" in git.  It works fine locally but alioth has
> rejected the tag change:
>
>     steve@riemann{alioth}git push --tag
>     To ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/castxml.git
>      ! [rejected]        debian/0.1+git20150630-1 -> debian/0.1+git20150630-1 (already exists)
>     error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/castxml.git'
>     hint: Updates were rejected because the tag already exists in the remote.
>
> What's your best advice for this?

I always need to do a web search for "git remove remote tag" and this
uncovers

   https://nathanhoad.net/how-to-delete-a-remote-git-tag

I hope at one day I will be able to remember by heart. :-)

> I should also like to mention that I have started packaging the new
> ITK (4.8.0) using the CastXML.  I have gotten ITK to build and will
> push the changes to alioth sometime this weekend.  At this point, I've
> just done minimal changes to get it to build.  More work needs to be
> done, which I'll detail in a later email.

Thanks a lot for your work on this.  I hope we will be able to solve
our gcc-5 problems in several imaging related packages by upgrading
to latest upstreams.