Re: Packaging DendroPy for Debian - test suite failures

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:34:49AM -0400, Jeet Sukumaran wrote:
> (1) I've tagged the releases. Sorry about that.

No need to sorry. :-)

> (2) With regards to SumTrees, things are a little more complicated.
> SumTrees is indeed an end-user application, distributed with DendroPy.
>
>     http://dendropy.org/programs/sumtrees.html

Thanks for the clarification!

> In fact, not only are there many people who install DendroPy only to use
> SumTrees (i.e., without programming with the library), arguably, there are
> *more* people who do this than actually use the library independently. In
> hindsight, separating the two might have made more sense. Unfortunately, I
> am not certain this can easily be changed now without being too disruptive.
>
> One option might be to tweak the ``setup.py`` logic to allow for
> specification of the script install location for the scripts (perhaps by
> reading an environmental variable or some custom text file), or even
> disallows their installation altogether. I do not know if this is already
> supported, but if not, it can easily be implemented. However it will then be
> introducing a idiosyncratic mechanism to the already-fragile Python
> deployment system.

Just let me deal with this.  Creating a separate binary package by
moving around files is pretty simple.  I think I have all information I
need for the moment and will come back to you in case of trouble.  Thanks
to your very quick response its a pleasure to work together with you.