Re: ITK help is needed!

Hi again Gert,

>As I said, currently I have no time to look into it. Anyway, we
>shouldn't do a new upload until 4.7 has passed the NEW queue.

there is no rush :)
gcc-5 will need few months to become the default, there is really much time

"many" is actually very little:

libinsighttoolkit3.20 Reverse Depends:

>  python-vmtk + libvmtk1.0:
>  itksnap:
>  libgofigure0 +  gofigure2:
>  ginkgocadx:
>  libcamitk3:

at least you are missing nifti2dicom
https://sources.debian.net/src/nifti2dicom/0.4.9-1/debian/control/

but probably dropping archs where itk4 is not available is the most feasible solution
(also nifti2dicom maintainer told me that itk3 wasn't fully compatible with nifti)

>As of #780659 one of the problems seems to be GDCM on big endian.

ok, thanks for the head up

>This is actually C++11 and not C11, but yes, I read elsewhere that C++11
>may not be abi-compatible to C++98/03. The workaround here would be to
>disable C++11, (i.e compile with -std=c++03).

>IMHO the proper approach is to initiate a transition phase (like it isdone with vtk and dcmtk). Given that these are very few packages it
>should be possible to get this done until stretch goes into freeze.

>Probably, but this would mean to wait until gcc-5 becomes the official

>default.

yes, I fully agree, however I'm not (yet) a DD, so I can't start any transition,
but as said before, there is so much time prior to see gcc-5 as default and even more prior to Stretch release :)

cheers,

Gianfranco