Re: R packages - are we doing the right thing?

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> We had some additional off-list emails.   Salient points:
>
>  -- let's do this
>
>  -- I strongly success GitHub because it already has a complete CRAN mirror
>     thanks to the work of Gabor Csardi (which whom I am very friendly and
>     working already on other things) (and this is no rub to alioth; they are
>     already Debian projects in https://github.com/Debian and eg Charles and I
>     have access there)

I think we can get the best of both worlds here; we can use the github
repos as a base, keep the master of the debian branch on alioth, and
mirror it to github as well.

The advantage of alioth is that it's much easier to grant access to
existing Debian contributors. But that said, I'm all for leveraging
drive-by contributors who just have a github account.

>  -- I suggest to create a new "org", maybe debian-r and seed it with a
>  few of us (Don, Charles, Steffen, ...)

I created this a while ago on alioth; it just needs probably a day of
work to get it all working.

If someone else wants to take the lead, let me know, and I'll put a
premium on getting the access federated.

Fate and Temperament are two words for one and the same concept.
 -- Novalis [Hermann Hesse _Demian_]