Re: SVN -> GIT mass conversion

Hi Andreas,

    A> I would not stop anybody from doing this but standardisation on
    A> its own would be no value in itself.
    >>
    >> In general I think it is, since you don't need to be expert in
    >> two VSC tools/packaging workflows and hence save time -> higher
    >> productivity. It'll be quite a bit easier to help each other out
    >> with bug fixes in packages not maintained by oneself.

    A> While I agree that it is easier to be an expert in only one VCS
    A> you need to consider that we also have SVN experts (believe it or
    A> not ;-)).  I'd consider it a shame if we would loose a packager
    A> since the person has only knowledge in Git and does not spend its
    A> time to learn something else.  That's why I'd hesitate to force
    A> Git on all team members.

I think enforcement would definitely be the wrong approach. But
declaring a "preferred workflow" might make sense. That way newcomers
without preference won't need to make up their mind ... Just realize
it's hard to write about this without showing bias :)

    A> Do you have some stronger arguments for the move which would
    A> rectify this?
    >>
    >> I don't want to get into flame wars or a deeper discussion about
    >> this here, but for me the advantages of GIT are overwhelming and
    >> discussed at every corner on the net.

    A> We all know that there is a really large migration process from
    A> SVN to Git and I'll do not join a flame war about this.  I simply
    A> ask whether my time for conversion is larger than just carrying
    A> two hand full of files in a common SVN.

Sure. Of course we have automated the process as much as possible, so
it's essentially no extra work for us (at least for most packages).

    A> Another hint.  I have assembled some authors file at

    A>    https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/blends/projects/0svn2git/blends-authors?view=markup

    A> which probably covers several authors from Debian Med.  Please
    A> make sure you do not waste your time on assembling these authors
    A> again and also commit the authors file at some decent place (may
    A> be in some infrastructure Git (or just commit it to SVN :-P) to
    A> make sure other people will not need to redo the work that was
    A> just done.

I'll check this out.

Best,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---