SVN -> GIT mass conversion

Hi,

while porting DebMed packages to Qlustar, we started a mass conversion
of SVN to GIT package repositories. Since at the St. Malo sprint I got the
impression that having as much as possible of the DebMed stuff managed
via GIT would be desirable in general, we'd also start creating new
repos for these packages on alioth that would allow to fully switch to GIT
for these packages at a certain date. The goal of this is to standardize
DebianMed on GIT entirely.

The new git repos will have the standard structure with
master/upstream/pristine-tar branches. They will include the full original SVN
history and tags as well as the latest orig.tar (from the current
version in testing) in the pristine tar branch, so that the package versions in
testing will be readily recreatable from them using git-buildpackage.

We plan to do the conversion in junks of 10 packages at a time and will
announce these packages here in advance, so that the maintainers of them
and everyone else will know about it in time and can check that the
conversion was done properly.

After a conversion will have been determined to be OK by all parties, we
should have a process to decommission the corresponding SVN repo.

If there are objections against converting certain packages (or the
whole idea), let's discuss it here.

Suggestions, comments etc. are obviously welcome.

Best,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---