Re: SVN -> GIT mass conversion

Hi Andreas,

    A> Hi Roland, On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 06:02:49PM +0100, Roland
    A> Fehrenbacher wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> while porting DebMed packages to Qlustar, we started a mass
    >> conversion of SVN to GIT package repositories. Since at the
    >> St. Malo sprint I got the impression that having as much as
    >> possible of the DebMed stuff managed via GIT would be desirable
    >> in general, we'd also start creating new repos for these packages
    >> on alioth that would allow to fully switch to GIT for these
    >> packages at a certain date. The goal of this is to standardize
    >> DebianMed on GIT entirely.
    >>
    >> The new git repos will have the standard structure with
    >> master/upstream/pristine-tar branches. They will include the full
    >> original SVN history and tags as well as the latest orig.tar
    >> (from the current version in testing) in the pristine tar branch,
    >> so that the package versions in testing will be readily
    >> recreatable from them using git-buildpackage.
    >>
    >> We plan to do the conversion in junks of 10 packages at a time
    >> and will announce these packages here in advance, so that the
    >> maintainers of them and everyone else will know about it in time
    >> and can check that the conversion was done properly.
    >>
    >> After a conversion will have been determined to be OK by all
    >> parties, we should have a process to decommission the
    >> corresponding SVN repo.
    >>
    >> If there are objections against converting certain packages (or
    >> the whole idea), let's discuss it here.

    A> No objection from my side.  However, I personally do not see the
    A> gain to port all packages.  While I think we have some people who
    A> remain in the SVN age I simply would consider my time wasted to
    A> do a mass conversion without any obvious profit.

we won't do all packages anyway, just those relevant for clustering
(Bio, Bio-Dev, NGS, Phylo, IMG, IMG-Dev tasks). It won't be time wasted,
because we will do it anyway for our internal use, so it's just a
question whether DebMed wants to profit as well.

    A> I would not stop anybody from doing this but standardisation on
    A> its own would be no value in itself.

In general I think it is, since you don't need to be expert in two
VSC tools/packaging workflows and hence save time -> higher
productivity. It'll be quite a bit easier to help each other out with
bug fixes in packages not maintained by oneself.

    A> Specifically if I think about several R packages which have only
    A> tiny bits in SVN but may be large chunks of data in Git we just
    A> fill up disk space at alioth on local disks and bandwidth for no
    A> obvious win.

For some packages, it indeed might make not so much sense, that's why I'd
put them up for discussion.

    A> Do you have some stronger arguments for the move which would
    A> rectify this?

I don't want to get into flame wars or a deeper discussion about this
here, but for me the advantages of GIT are overwhelming and discussed at
every corner on the net. On the other hand, I definitely don't want to
force anything on any maintainer.

    >> Suggestions, comments etc. are obviously welcome.

    A> As I said I'm not against progress so if you do some move please
    A> make sure to drop a file according to the example in

    A>    trunk/packages/clustalx/trunk/README.status

OK.

Best,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---