Re: [MoM] dwv

Hi list,

Getting there...
* ssh is all set,
* I created the repository (http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/dwv-orthanc-plugin.git) using the setup-repository script,
* I had troubles with uscan and the watch file, uscan stops, complaining about the missing changelog file so I downloaded the tar.gz manually from github,
* I ran a: git import-orig --pristine-tar /path/to/dwv-orthanc-plugin-0.3.0.tar.gz
* and pushed it all on the server

So what's next?

On 10 March 2015 at 10:25, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Yves,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:58:36AM +0100, Yves wrote:
> Password-less access: I attached my public key to my alioth account. Will
> see at my first commit if I did it properly.

In principle yes.  A `ssh alioth.debian.org` before might show any
potential problems - specifically if something occures the '-v' option
might be enlightening.

> When you say 'use the http://git.debian.org/git/debian-med', do you mean
> create a dwvexplorer folder in the debian-med repo? Are they any naming
> rules? From what I read it seams I can do it, should I?
> I'm not sure I get the paragraph about 'social git' (
> http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-repository-structures),
> is it possible to use git submodules to avoid having to copy the github
> repo?

Its advisable to use the script /git/debian-med/setup-repository which
is mentioned in the link above.  I can not give an educated answer about
submodules since I never used this and thus can not give proper advise.
I personally strongly relay on the workflow to obtain a tarball from a
github first using the template for a watch file given here:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/package_template/watch?view=markup

Simply remove everything except

  version=3
  https://github.com/#GITHUBUSER#/#PACKAGE#/releases .*/archive/#PREFIX#(\d[\d.-]+)\.(?:tar(?:\.gz|\.bz2)?|tgz)

fill in the placeholders and fetch a tarball using

  uscan --verbose --force-download

Once you have the tarball you can import it into the Debian packaging
Git repository using

  git import-orig --pristine-tar /path/to/package_version.orig.tar.gz

I know that from a Git perspective it sounds a bit cumbersome since you
have the code in Git yet.  However, the idea behind this is that you are
maintaining *packaging* code here - not upstream code - and this
approach also works for all kind of software (even what is not (yet ;-))
maintained in Git).

I hope that this advise is clear enouth and does not tweak your mind too
much from an upstream maintainers perspective on his own source code.