Re: Please help freeing libcolt-java

Hi Thorsten!

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Martin Steghöfer wrote:
So is it the official Debian position
There cannot be an official Debian position on this,
either it’s so or not, based on law ;-)

Yes, it's the law, but I doubt that the law mentions Java interfaces explicitly ;-). So it's subject to interpretation and without a precedence you can't know for sure - but Debian might have a position on the interpretation, in order to avoid that we all have to become experts on this.

Thank you for your explanation about why you think interfaces are not protected by copyright!

Much of this was about the implementation of these interfaces, which is something different

Yes, as far as I've seen the previous discussion treats mainly the implementation issues - which is precisely why I wanted to raise attention on the interface issue again. Because no matter how well we replace the implementation, if we can't use the interfaces or have to "cripple" them, we don't have a fix.

Again, I'm not an expert and I'm not saying that interfaces are copyright protected. Just trying to make sure that this part receives the attention it deserves.

Cheers,
Martin