Re: camitk vs. mitk vs. slicer?

I have not used mitk or camitk, so I can't answer your question
directly. But I have had luck prototyping applications using itk and vtk
in python. It gives you a Matlab-y way to try things out in ITK, and
visualize in VTK (or matplotlib). There are some rough parts, like
remembering how to move data from vtk to itk and/or python (numpy), but
I find it to work best for me.

-Paul