Re: [MoM] Packaging OpenSurgSim

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 08:52:37AM -0500, Paul Novotny wrote:
> > > it was not maintained for some time.  Offering help (perhaps inside
> > > collab-maint VCS) would probably enhance chances to get things happening
> > > more quickly.
> >
> > OK, I contacted the yaml-cpp maintainer and offered help.
>
> OK.  Just let us know if nothing will happen after a time span that fits
> your plan.

Haven't heard anything yet, I sent a message to
yaml-cpp@packages.debian.org. Although the new version of yaml-cpp
hasn't been released yet anyways. I do see that the yaml-cpp package is
outdated, as you mentioned, is it worth spending time updating it?

> > I am trying to figure out what this should be. I was thinking about what
> > would test that the package is installed correctly. How about a small
> > sample application consisting of a CMakeLists.txt and a simple cpp. The
> > CMakeLists.txt would check that cmake could find OpenSurgSim, and the
> > cpp would do something really basic. This would require gcc and cmake to
> > run. Is this along the lines of what you are thinking of?
>
> Something like this.  Anything that would proof that the package works
> as expected is useful.  Finally its your decision whether the effort is
> worth but I also think that such a small test could also serve as good
> example for users.

Where would something like this go, in the debian directory somewhere?
We do have examples upstream, but they aren't standalone, they can be
built during building of the rest of OpenSurgSim. So I would probably
create a simple CMakeLists.txt and a sample.cpp. As we move forward
upstream, I would like to see our examples be standalone separate
projects that would fit this perfectly, but that will have to wait for
the next release of OpenSurgSim.

> > > I created a package template (see Debian Med team policy) which also
> > > contains a boilerplate:
> > >
> > >    http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/package_template/upstream/metadata?view=markup
> >
> > I pushed an upstream/metadata file to the repository, let me know if you
> > see any issues.
>
> I can not see any issue and the publication info is properly rendered at
> the tasks page:
>
>     http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/imaging-dev#libopensurgsim-dev

This looks great. Neat to see how it all comes together.

-Paul