Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 05:43:05PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> 1) We agree to package multiple versions of fis-gtm.
>
>     The exact number is still in the air, but it looks like
>     we are all comfortable with the base number == 3,
>     at least for the immediate future.
>
>     More precisely we are talking about versions:
>
>            fis-gtm-6.0   (currently in Debian)
>            fis-gtm-6.1   (recently released upstream)
>            fis-gtm-6.2   (to be released upstream by mid 2014)

If what you are saying here is that by mid 2014 there
are expected to be 3 different fisgtm packages in
Debian Testing, namely fisgtm60, fisgtm61, and fisgtm62
I don't understand AT ALL what that is supposed to be
good for.

Debian works like this (to my understanding):

- currently there is fisgtm (6.0) in Testing
- when 6.1 is released a new fisgtm (6.1) is prepared
- fisgtm (6.1) is uploaded to Unstable
- 10 days later fisgtm (6.1) migrates to Testing
  and fisgtm (6.0) stays available from snapshots.d.o

- same thing happens when 6.2 is released, except
  that then there will be both fisgtm (6.0) and
  fisgtm (6.1) available from snapshots.d.o.

I have so far NOT seen ANY understandable argument
why there MUST be different versions in Testing
at the SAME TIME ?!?

I can maybe understand the idea that Testing should
always carry the latest release (after migration from
Unstable) PLUS the one from the current Stable so
that people can easily install both on a Testing
machine and migrate.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346