Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On 02/08/2014 02:27 AM (US Eastern Time), Andreas Tille wrote:
On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 09:01:44PM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

[KSB4] <...snip...>

Please trust my experience that it is not about what you think but what is accepted by the gatekeepers of debian (=ftpmaster): They will not accept your plan and will refuse multiple versions of the same software if the number goes (far) beyond the usual migration procedure.

[KSB4] We know that they will at least accept 4 versions in sid & jessie (gcc-4.4,, 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8). So, let's do the same for GT.M

Because bugs in GT.M are very infrequently encountered in
production,
I'm sorry but as long as any software is not written by the magical good
of infallibility it will have bugs.  So we need to be prepared to fix it
and we should try to keep the burden for people who need to do the
actual work at a bearable amount.
[KSB3] The upstream team will fix material bugs in a timely fashion.
Yes, GT.M has many bugs that the development team knows about, but
remember that GT.M has been in daily production use since 1986, and
available as free / open source software since 2001.  But the track
record for the last ten or more years is that it is very rare for
users to encounter bugs in production environments.  So again, let
me propose that we see how it goes in practice.
I have no reason to doubt your statement but you forget that also
non-upstream bugs might create some unexpected work.  My suggestion is
that we will go for the moment with fis-gtm 6.0 and 6.1.  If it really
turns out that the 6.0 packages remain as static as you are predicting I
do not see any problem from users perspective to fetch the packages from

    http://snapshot.debian.org/package/fis-gtm/6.0-003-2/

and they can pin their system via sources.list and apt preferences to
this version which solves the user problem without creating any trouble
on the Debian side.  As I said:  It is not me who is vetoing your plan -
there are some people with a more general overview who need to accept
it.

[KSB] GT.M V6.2-000 is coming with a Q2 2014 release target, and a significant part of the GT.M community will want it because of some major new functionality it will have.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.