Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Following the policy for Git-based packaging, we should be able
> to host both versions 6.0 and 6.1 side by side without conflict.

Yes.  But we probably need to find out how to work with branches in
git-buildpackage.

Yes, that's the plan.

From what I have read in the documentation, this case is
well supported by the git-buildpackage infrastructure.

So, things are looking good...

> I have checked with Bhaskar and Amul, and we are in agreement
> on the benefit of preparing 6.1 for the packaging.
In short:  Yes, lets go with the packaging but lets think about a
reasonable upgrade path for the future.

Agree,

I'll bow to Bhaskar on making the case for how many versions is
reasonable to have in the future as we maintain a sliding window
of them.

> Would you welcome this update at this point ?

We should also define the "default" fis-gtm version.  You could steal
the packaging idea from gcc or python or whatever - so if the user
wants to install fis-gtm he gets the latest version.

Yes.

I believe the current package already does this with the fis-gtm
meta-package,  and it is one of the early features that Bhaskar
wanted to make sure that were in place.

That said, we will only truly test it now that we are about to
have two versions simultaneously.

I'll take a first cut at this during the weekend.

      Many Thanks

           Luis