Re: VistA packaging : vista-foia : First review

Hi Luis,

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 08:54:08AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> It seems to be, that what goes into the pristine-tar branch is
> the tar.gz of a "diff" between the content of the tar.gz file that
> we present, and the content of the upstream branch.

Yes.

> So, in our case, that tar should actually be empty, or close to empty.

I have done some `git checkout pristine-tar` in several cases in
repositories and found pretty small files since it only cares for
metadata not for actual content files.  So these files should definitely
not be large.

> I may have some mismatch of directories that led git-import-orig
> to think that the pristine tar file is entirely different from the content
> of upstream....   I'm looking into that now.

I guess the point is somewhere here.

> To answer your question about large files in the tar:
>
>                    Yes, it does have some large files.
>
> Mostly the *.zwr files, that contain the MUMPS Globals. they
> get very large.  For example, 26 of them are 64Mb each,
>
> https://github.com/OSEHRA/VistA-M/tree/master/Packages/Lexicon%20Utility/Globals
>

> In total there are 2,933 of those .zwr files.
> The majority are rather small, but... it adds up in the final tar file.

As mentioned above this should not be any problem regarding creating
pristine-tar.  However, once we plan to upload this to the Debian mirror
we will not be able to circumvent the question of our ftpmaster: "Where
is the source of this binary chunk of data and how can it be
reproduced."

We should be able to provide a reasonable answer to this ... even better
if we could somehow recreate the data in the build process (if this is
any possible and makes any sense at all).

> Regarding the difference in behavior of git-buildpackage,
> one potential reason might be the values in the configuration files
> http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/man.gbp.conf.html
>

> I don't have a gdp.conf file in my home directory,
> so the one that is being used is probably:

As I said in my other mail I'm using the configuration file suggested by
Debian Med policy (and used by several other teams as well for the
reasons I mentioned in my other mail).