Re: VistA packaging : vista-foia : First review

Hi Luis,

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 07:15:03PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> > But may be you forgot to push the pristine-tar branch?
> >

> I tried indeed to setup the pristine-tar branch,
> but the VistA-M tar.gz if too big for git.
>
> Here is the error message (from my previous email):
>
> Pristine Tar:
> -----------------
>
> When building the repository, I first attempted to import the source
> tarball with the --pristine-tar option, as recommended here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit#pristine-tar
>

> but got the following error message:
>

> gbp:info: No git repository found, creating one.
>
> gbp:info: Tag upstream/0.20130405 not found, importing Upstream tarball
>
> xdelta: warning: no matches found in from file, patch will apply without it
>
> error: excessively large binary delta for
> /tmp/pristine-tar.ETnVfcsL8q/origtarball
>
> (Please consider filing a bug report.)
>
> pristine-tar: failed to generate delta
>
> gbp:error: Couldn't commit to 'pristine-tar' with upstream 'upstream':
> /usr/bin/pristine-tar returned 1

I have not seen this error message (did you filed a bug as it said)?

When I was running into trouble with larger tarballs previously it
helped to use

    TMPDIR=/var/tmp git import-orig --pristine-tar <tarball>

since my /tmp partition was to small.

> The VistA-M tarball is 407Mb. This is probably the reason...

Are there any large binary chunks insite this tarball?

Since you mentioned that you are creating the tarball anyway I hope you
considered xz or bz2 compression in favour of gz.

> For me, git-buildpackage goes ahead and creates
> the tar.gz files from the content of the upstream branch.

:-(  seem you are more lucky than me.  I guess it might be related to
the fact that you are keeping some local copy.

> > In case you have no idea what I'm talking about please seek for
> > pristine-tar in the Debian Med policy.  You can do this import
> > even on top of your current directory (it will just result in
> > a warning that the upstream tag is just known).
> >
> I did try indeed to create the pristine-tar branch, but failed due
> to the tar.gz file size.
>
> We will have to find an alternative to the large size of the tar.gz file.
> I'm open to any suggestions...

Please try recompressing with some better compression algorith and
perhaps also setting TMPDIR.

> > If the pristine-tar branch is lacking I can not reproduce the
> > original tar file at my side from the Git repository.
> >
> I'm curious as to why git-buildpackage behaves different for me.

It might like you more than me? ;-)

> E.g. it generates the tar.gz files even though they are missing
> from the pristine-tar branch.

I admit I have no idea how this might work.  I'm not git-buildpackage
expert, thought.

> Is there a default option in git-buildpackage,
> that could alter this behavior ?

There are a lot of options - perhaps it is some hidden one?