Re: [MoM] snp-sites (Was: I would like to submit a package to debian-med)

Hi Jorge,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 01:13:13PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> > No.  That's definitely not good since it belongs to the manpage
> > and you will (hopefully) not find long descriptions like this.
> > The above could be summarised like
> >
> >  It is featuring different output formats (like multi fasta alignment,
> >  Vcf, phylip)
> >
> > Or something like this.
> >

> Cool.
> I am also making a reference to the test folder that is provided by the
> upstream repo.
> From what I see in the contents of the debian packages, this test folder
> will not be put anywhere in the user system.
> Is there a clever way for me to do this?
> Besides directing users to the upstream git repo?

If there is a real test-suite to run you can do this

   a) at package build time
   b) using autopkgtest (you might like to google how to do this in
      case you might fail finding something we have also examples in
      Debian Med Vcs

In any case it would be a good idea to install this either inside the
libsnp-sites1-dev using dh_installexamples - or rather, considering its
size which is quiete large compared to the content of libsnp-sites1-dev,
into another package with "Architecture: all" and name it

   libsnp-sites-examples

or so (provided that these tests are basically for development purpose -
otherwise I would suggest snp-sites-examples or snp-sites-data whatever
fits more to your taste).

> > The descriptions for the lib* packages are a bit better.  Just try to
> > keep in mind that you are advertising your package to users who might
> > not have any idea what is doing.  So beeing precise and verbose makes
> > perfectly sense - otherwise people might ignore the package.
> >

> I will try to embelish these descriptions a bit further.

:-)