Re: [MoM] snp-sites (Was: I would like to submit a package to debian-med)

Hi Jorge,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 02:37:16PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> > D-shlibs is caring for installing the lib files and thus you can get rid
> > of these install files (which is part of the deal why d-shlibs is
> > comfortable and I was suggesting using it).
> >

> I get it now.
> No .install files at all.
> This had escaped me completely.

Yep, no problem.  I think by this small implementation it was more
educating as if I would have explained lengthy.  The fun part of this is
that you now might be able to educate Sascha how he could use d-shlibs. B-)

> I think I understand the steps:
>
>         d-shlibmove --commit \
>                     --multiarch \
>                     --movedev "debian/tmp/usr/share/*.h"
> usr/include/snp-sites \
>                     debian/tmp/usr/lib/*/libsnp-sites.so
>
> --commit - don't run in dry mode
> --multiarch - implementing multiarch support (lib/ARCH/*)
> --movedev - create dir and move files
>
> So you're using the same syntax as the *.install files for moving.
> In the case of libsnp-sites.so, the file will be moved from
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/*/ to debian/tmp/usr/lib/*/libsnp-sites.so
> It's all clear now.

Yes.  The good thing is that all the linking and stuff is done
automatically.  I hope you also noticed the additional Provides /
Conflicts lines in d/control.  D-shlibs will issue an error if these are
missing.  I bet you (and me!) would have forgotten these without using
this tool.

> > Moreover - from an upstream point of view:  what should do include files
> > in /usr/share????
> >

> Is the question,
> What is the purpose of the files in include/ ?

No.  They were originally moved to debian/tmp/usr/share which does not
make any sense at all.  Afterwards we are moving it to /usr/include
inside the Debian package which is where I would have expected header
files also after a plain `make install` of the source package.  So
I guess the upstream install target is broken.

> > Just trust d-shlibmove - it simply does the right thing without making
> > you to care for the specifics (at least in simple cases like this).
> >

> This is brilliant.
> I pulled, built and lintian does not complain anymore.

Well, about this.  But there are some remainings - at least inside the
public git.  May be you forgot to push?

> I'll trust d-shlibs for the time being.

:-)

> Now just have to deal with NMU and ITP.

If you have no idea about the NMU issue please check my previous
mails.  I have given an explicit hint about this!