Re: [MoM] snp-sites (Was: I would like to submit a package to debian-med)

Hi Andreas,

Pasting here issues discussed on th eother thread:

> No.  Lintian tells you exactly what you need to do.  *Since* you are
> using compat level 9 you really *need* to bump also the versioned
> Build-Depends to 9 (currently you have 8).  This is not the kind of
> warning you should override at all.

This was easy to do and is sorted.

> Creating library packages is a bit more advanced task.  Since you have
> decided to be brave and created these you should finish the hard way,
> thought.

I start to regret it... :)

>  I really like to use d-shlibs which is implementing the Debian
> Library packaging guide automatically.  The expense you have to pay is
> to learn how to deal with d-shlibs and its pickyness to some extend.
> IMHO the easiest way is to copy some example and I'd recommend for
> instance
>
>     svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/volpack/trunk/

Got this.

> You should have a look into its rules file and its control file.
> D-shlibmove will tell you everything else you need to do - if it is
> not verbose enough for you feel free to keep on asking.
>
> For sure you can move around the files manually without d-shlibs but the
> *.a file needs to go to the *-dev package as well as the *.so symlink.

I spent yesterday trying to understand how I could use d-shlibs to deal with the lintian warning:

W: libsnp-sites1: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnp-sites.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsnp-sites.so

I didn't get very far TBH. So I would like to ask you a couple of questions, to see if I can get a clearer picture.

We made the decision to create 3 debian packages for the snp_sites code instead of one monolythic package:

[1] snp-sites - binaries
[2] libsnp-sites1 - run time libraries
[3] libsnp-sites1-dev - development libraries

Doing this means that we need to have .install files for the three packages:

snp-sites.install
libsnp-sites1.install
libsnp-sites1-dev.install

libsnp-sites1.install is responsible for moving anything that gets put in

usr/lib/*/

usr/lib/*/

So in my understanding, this is the package that will install  libsnp-sites.so1.0.0 and create the libsnp-sites.so symlink.

Now libsnp-sites.so1.0.0 is definitely a run time library and from my understanding should belong to [2]. But maybe it should all belong to [3] and there would be no need for [2].

If this is right, then there wouldn't even be a need to use d-shlibs.

Can you shed some light on this when you have time.

Kind regards,

Jorge

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Jorge,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 02:27:21PM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> > Creating library packages is a bit more advanced task.  Since you have
> > decided to be brave and created these you should finish the hard way,
> > thought.
>
> It was Sasha's recommendation. And a good recommendation at that.

Ahhhh, I need to discuss with Sasha why he did not helped you out in the
trouble he was pushing you into. ;-))

> This helps immensely.
> Thanks a lot for all the help you've been giving me.

You are welcome.  Since we are obviously doing an Mentoring of the Month
I just added you to

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

and will tag the mails [MoM] to make this more informative for newcomers.