Aw: Re: [MoM] Problem reproducing bug in ProbABEL package

Hi all,

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 08:44:20PM +0100, L.C. Karssen wrote:
> > > The easiest fix coming to my mind is possibly to
> > >   chmod src/extIDS.pl
> > > before dh_install is invoked.
> > >

> > Indeed, nice and simple.
>
> I agree that this is nice and simple but I personally would not do it
> in this cheap way:
>
>   1. It is changing the upstream source tree which I would generally
>      avoid (even in those slight cases)

This is an excellent point. A single chmod on the source tree basically
interferes with what we manage with git. With me mostly using svn-buildpackage,
where we store the debian folder only, this would have been acceptable.
To not infer with the upstream sources, we use the quilt patch system.
However, this also changes the sources - it just also unchanges them.
So, it is not the change of the source tree itself that cumbersome. To save
my suggestion, you would undo the chmod after running dh_install, as in

override_dh_install:
   chmod +x src/whatever.pl
   dh_install
   chmod -x src/whatever.pl

Hm. I admit, not so cute, but idempotent.

>   2. You need to remind this change for new upstream versions (except
>      you can convince upstream to do it in their source distribution)

Er, no, this is not how it was meant. The chmod would have been part of
debian/rules, so it would have been fine with updates.

> I'll leave it to you what solution you prefer - just want to make sure
> you understand its consequences.

Same here :)

Steffen