Re: Licensing terms for data derived from ARB/SILVA data

On 28/11/14 15:48, Frank Oliver Glöckner wrote:
> Dear Sascha Steinbiss,

Dear Prof. Dr. Gloeckner,

> thanks for the information.
> We discussed it and in general we agree that the HMM profiles derived
> from LSURef_115_tax_silva_full_align_trunc.fasta can be distributed.

Thanks for getting back to me about that. I am glad to hear that.

> But we would like to ask you to clearly indicate that the profiles are
> only free for non-commercial usage, commercial users need a licence.
> The easiest approach is to add a reference to the SILVA terms of license
> assigned to the software/profile.

Agreed. I have added the SILVA license terms to the mandatory copyright
description file which goes with every Debian package. This was the last
missing step and the package is now ready in principle.

Unfortunately, due to the non-commercial use restriction we can not make
the barrnap software available via the main Debian software repository.
For inclusion into this repository, all components of a package are
required to be free for all users, under a respective license
(https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses). This includes the HMMs of
course. Hence this package in its current state will need to go into a
separate 'non-free' repository, which could limit its impact and
usefulness to end-users as its contents  will not be usable to them 'out
of the box'.
In this light I would like to kindly ask you to reconsider the licensing
terms for this particular set of models.

> Have a nice weekend
> Frank Oliver Glöckner

Many thanks and best regards
Sascha Steinbiss