Re: Licensing terms for data derived from ARB/SILVA data

Dear Sascha Steinbiss,
thanks for the information.
We discussed it and in general we agree that the HMM profiles derived from LSURef_115_tax_silva_full_align_trunc.fasta can be distributed. But we would like to ask you to clearly indicate that the profiles are only free for non-commercial usage, commercial users need a licence. The easiest approach is to add a reference to the SILVA terms of license assigned to the software/profile.

Have a nice weekend

Frank Oliver Glöckner

Am 26.11.2014 20:28, schrieb Sascha Steinbiss:
On 26/11/2014 17:56, Frank Oliver Glöckner wrote:
>Dear Sascha Steinbeiss,
Dear Prof. Gloeckner,

thanks for your prompt reply.

>Before we can answer your question may I ask you to provide us with some
>more information about the:
>1. name of the tool
The software in question is barrnap
(http://www.vicbioinformatics.com/software.barrnap.shtml) written by
Torsten Seemann.

>2. functionality of the tool, e.g. does it just detect rRNAs, and/or
>does it classify sequences?
The main functionality is to detect rRNAs and to output their locations
in an input sequence as GFF3 features. As far as classification goes, it
does distinguish between the individual rRNAs for a given kingdom
(5S,23S,16S for bacteria; 5S,5.8S,28S,18S for eukaryotes, etc.) but does
not taxonomically classify them as being close to a particular
species. You can see example output on the web page given above.

It is basically a wrapper around nhmmer searching for a relatively
general rRNA pHMM, meant for de novo annotation.

>All  the best
>Frank Oliver Glöckner
Best wishes from a former 'Nordlicht' (I think we met once when I still
was at the ZBH Hamburg)
Sascha Steinbiss

--
Prof. Dr. Frank Oliver Glöckner
Head of the Microbial Genomics and Bioinformatics Research Group

E-mail: fog@mpi-bremen.de

Address:
MPI for Marine Microbiology
Celsiusstrasse 1