Re: Licensing terms for data derived from ARB/SILVA data

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 03:35:33PM +0000, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> On 29/11/14 15:03, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> > what aout putting barnap into main and barrnap-additional-data
> > into non-free?
>
> Do you mean having barrnap depend on or suggest barrnap-additional-data
> in that case?

Only *suggests* would be possible to keep barrnap in main.

> The problem is that the non-free HMMs are not really "additional", as
> barrnap would not work without them at all. Hence it would not make
> sense to install one without the other.
>
> In theory, one could split the HMMs into a free and a non-free set, and
> then patch barrnap to read its HMMs from multiple sources.

What do you mean by "multiple sources"?  The files of the different
packages can perfectly end up in the same directory.

> The free HMMs
> could then go into the barrnap package in main, and the non-free ones
> into a separate data package in non-free.

Yes, this as my idea.

> However, if someone does not have non-free enabled, they will silently
> miss all the results only available with the non-free HMM set. I can
> imagine that would confuse the majority of users, who would want to rely
> on the output of barrnap as it is.

I can not comment on this since I'm no end user.

> > Greetings from Hanoi
> >     Andreas.
>
> Thanks and enjoy your vacation :)

Thanks - and going offline again