Packaging bambam library for official Debian

Hi German,

I'm writing you on behalf of the Debian Med team which tries to include
all free software which is relevant for medicine and biology into main
Debian.  If you want to have a look onto our work you might like to look
onto our so called tasks Biology[1] and Biology Developmen[2].

I stumbled upon your bambamc library[3] and noticed that you are even
providing a debian/ dir.  So you are obviously interested in creating
Debian packages.  The reason why I became aware of this library is that
smalt which is one of our target programs makes use of this library.  So
I would like to move bambamc into official Debian.

My question is:  Would you be interested in maintaining it yourself in
our team at git.debian.org.  In principle this is easy and we have a
good tradition of helping people to learn the formalisms.  If you do not
mind about this I would simply have a plea: Please do not distribute the
debian/ dir in your official download release.  It is fine to keep this
in a separate branch but for certain good reasons which are frequently
discussed on Debian mailing lists this creates extra trouble for the
maintainers and is confusing since there might be some divergences
between your debian/ dir and what we provide in the packaging.

What do you think?

Kind regards and thanks for providing bambamc as free software

    Andreas.

[1] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio
[2] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio-dev
[3] https://github.com/gt1/bambamc