Re: [MoM] New project for April (Was: New Contributor Game)

Hi Ubiratan,

as an extension to Iain's answer I like to add some points.

The first point is that it seems reasonable to commit your current work
to some repository either on git.debian.org or svn.debian.org.
Otherwise all our hints are simply wild guessing what you are doing and
we probably will not make good progress in helping you.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 10:35:44AM +0100, Ubiratan S. Freitas wrote:

> Well, I've managed to build it. Sort of. SleepHead builds as it is with
> Debian libraries but I think I ran into a bug in libqextserialport. The
> only
> reason I didn't file a bug report yet is that I don't trust my conclusion
> about
> the bug.
>
> When I tried to build SH I got an error saying qextserialport.h was not
> found:
> oximetry.h:17:28: fatal error: qextserialport.h: Aucun fichier ou dossier
> de ce type

It helps if you set LANG=en before starting the build process.  I have
trouble understanding this error message. ;-)

> In my machine, the problem is that the file
> /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/features/extserialport.prf
> points to the wrong include directory:
> INCLUDEPATH += /usr/include/qt4/QtExtSerialPort
>
> The .h files were installed in:
> /usr/include/QtExtSerialPort
>
> Changing the .prf file so that it points to the right location allowed me to
> build and run SH without problems.
>
> The reason I'm not sure this is a bug in libqextserialport is that I built
> libqextserialport-dev myself from the source package (with dpkg-buildpackage
> -b) and installed in a stable machine, so there is a chance I made a mistake
> somewhere.

To some extend the mistake is even that you are trying to build on a
stable machine.  The final package goes to unstable and it *has* *to*
build with the original libqextserialport-dev package from unstable.
Everything else will be broken.  If you in addition want to provide a
backport to stable that's something else and should be dealt with in a
separate step.  As said previously building a package in unstable is
usually done with pbuilder (or rather the flavour of cowbuilder).  Could
you please confirm that you have setup a cowbuilder chroot using

   sudo cowbuilder --create

?  This is in so far essential since we need to be sure that we are
talking about the same thing and not about some local modifications at
your side which we can not reproduce.

> So what do you think should I do? File the bug report anyway?

Before filing a bug report please

  1. Commit your work to a Vcs of your choice (either Git or SVN)
     as described in Debian Med team policy

  2. Try to build with `pdebuild` and report here what happens.