Re: Updating fis-gtm package to 6.1

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Dominique Belhachemi <domibel@debian.org> wrote:
There is no big difference to all the other packages in Debian. Transitions happen all the time.

Just let the latest stable release propagate into testing. Luis is setting up the git packaging infrastructure to make a transition from one release to another release as smooth as possible. We can deal with all the other issues when they arise.

Thanks Dominique,

As far as I have understood the git packaging infrastructure, it
seems indeed that we can put the multiple versions of fis-gtm
in different git branches, and then use the gbp.conf file to capture
the policy decision (from debian-med) on what specific versions
to make available as packages.

I confess that I'm not very familiar with the Debian policy for porting
bug fixes from upstream, so I most likely missing important details
here... (my apologies in advance).

I'm now reading more here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#bug-handling
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/developer-duties.html#rc-bugs

In the meantime, here is what I'm doing:

1)  Reducing the lintian warnings that Dominique pointed out.

     Currently I'm looking at the large number of Lintian warnings
     on the i486 platform.  Just spawned a 32bits VM to look at this.

2)  Then will be setting the current fis-gtm-6.0-003 in a git branch.
      So, no new content, just the current package in the format that
      will facilitate having multiple versions side by side.

3)  Then will look at adding fis-gtm-6.1 in its own branch.

Does this sound reasonable ?

    Many Thanks

        Luis