Re: [fis-gtm] user experience (WAS Re: Fis-gtm accepted in unstable)

Hi Bhaskar,

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 09:57:58AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> >For me this call is just "scary".  A user should call something in
> >/usr/bin and we should provide a wrapper for this.  I injected
> >
> >    http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-med/fis-gtm.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/bin/mumps
> >
> >Please check and enhance if needed.
>
> [KSB2] Could you make /usr/bin/gtm a symbolic link to the gtm script
> in the directory where GT.M is installed?

Yes, this is a reasonable alternative (in case there is no explicit need
to set some environment variables in advance).

> >>    kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$ gtm_chset=utf-8 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
> >>    /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x86_64/gtm
> >I guess this should also be part of the script I wrote.  Is this
> >correct?
>
> [KSB2] I think that the decision to run in traditional M mode vs.
> UTF-8 mode should be made when the process is invoked.  See a post I
> just made in response to Karsten Hilbert's post in this thread.  If
> LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE is set to a utf8 locale, can the gtm script
> assume that the user wants to run in UTF-8 mode?

Definitely.  This is what I wanted to answer to your previous mail:
Usually the LC_* variables are set to some reasonable value and if
needed we could guess from the environment variables what extra gtm
variables need to be set.

I'm perfectly fine to rename my suggested wrapper from mumps to gtm - I
have just choosen this name out of a naive mind.