Re: [fis-gtm] user experience (WAS Re: Fis-gtm accepted in unstable)

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:02:08AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> >>I just uploaded a package with your patch which shows the help properly.
> >>Note: As a beginner it is definitely *not* intuitively to leave this
> >>help - I neede to interupt by ^C.
>
> [KSB] I have to agree that MUMPS is not always intuitive to the
> non-MUMPS person.  But we're thinking of reworking on-line help, and
> for that reason it has not had the attention recently that it
> deservers.

As I said my test was probably not very detailed - but there is
definitely a lack of speed to bring up the help.

> We plan to make a package of GT.M documentation.  For now, please go
> to http://fis-gtm.com and click on the User Documentation tab to get
> the documentation.

I just added this hint to README.Debian.

> >[amul:2] Could explain this a bit more? It may not be obvious but
> >hitting return/enter a few times will exit the user from the
> >"Topic?" prompt.
>
> [KSB] Yes, this exit from help by hitting a series of Enters works.
> GT.M help (for historical reasons) is modeled on OpenVMS help.

Confirmed.

> >[amul:2] Should we include a getting started section in the README?
>
> [KSB] As Amul says, the gtm script included in GT.M is what people
> should use out of the box.  It sets up a default environment and
> invokes the mumps program.  So, the first time you run it, you will
> see all the verbiage above where it creates the environment in
> $HOME/.fis-gtm, or, if you define the gtmdir environment variable,
> in $gtmdir/.fis-gtm.  Once an environment is created, gtm is quiet,
> e.g.:
>
>    kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$ /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x86_64/gtm

For me this call is just "scary".  A user should call something in
/usr/bin and we should provide a wrapper for this.  I injected

   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-med/fis-gtm.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/bin/mumps

Please check and enhance if needed.

> Setting gtm_chset to utf-8, which also requires LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL
> to be defined to a suitable utf8 locale, runs the mumps process in
> UTF-8 mode, e.g.:
>
>    kbhaskar@bhaskark:~$ gtm_chset=utf-8 LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
>    /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x86_64/gtm

I guess this should also be part of the script I wrote.  Is this
correct?

> My Christmas vacation project is to draft a gtm man(1) page.

Great.