Re: [fis-gtm] user experience (WAS Re: Fis-gtm accepted in unstable)

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:02:08AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> >On 12/20/13 17:09, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >>  $ sudo aptitude install fis-gtm-6.0-003
> >>  $ export gtm_dist=/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x86_64
> >>  $ export gtmroutines="$gtm_dist/libgtmutil.so $gtm_dist"
> >>  $ $gtm_dist/mumps -dir
> >>If this is the way you are calling mumps we should rather provide a
> >>wrapper doing this.  WHat do you think?

There probably is not any "the way" of calling mumps. It
seems to depend on the actual application.

> >[amul:2] Bhaskar spent a bit of time crafting a script called gtm
> >in the installation directory. Assuming that GT.M is installed in
> >/opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/, execute
> >/opt/fis-gtm/V6.0-003_x8664/gtm.
> >[amul:2] Should we include a getting started section in the README?
>
> [KSB] As Amul says, the gtm script included in GT.M is what people
> should use out of the box.

This script should be /usr/bin/gtm, then.

> It sets up a default environment and invokes the mumps program.
> So, the first time you run it, you will
> see all the verbiage above where it creates the environment in
> $HOME/.fis-gtm, or, if you define the gtmdir environment variable, in
> $gtmdir/.fis-gtm.

Applications running on Mumps (like Vista) will (want to)
appropriately set the environment and install their own
wrappers.

> Setting gtm_chset to utf-8, which also requires LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL to
> be defined to a suitable utf8 locale, runs the mumps process in UTF-8
> mode, e.g.:

That *really* should be the default script these days. At
the *very* least there should be a /usr/bin/gtm-utf8 next
to /usr/bin/gtm and users be encouraged to use that unless
that is impossible.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346