Re: Debuild issue

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM, Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Gregory,

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 04:10:29PM -0800, Gregory Sharp wrote:
> >The source tarball should not contain the Debian revision number.  The
> >"-1" in the end is the Debian package version which will be increased
> >if there would be a need to change the packaging.
> >
> >> Should I just rename the .tar.gz file and go about my business?
> >
> >Yes, definitely.  The name should be
> >
> >   plastimatch_1.5.15+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
>

> Definitely I was misunderstanding this.  Now I understand and
>
> my problem was easily resolved.
>

> But I still have a kind of philosophical question.
>
> With change of Debian revision number, couldn't the content of source
> tarball change?

No.  If the content of the source tarball changes it is per definition a
new upstream tarball and usually you will start with Debian revision
number 1 again.

> For example removing an additional file from upstream.
> Then you would have different Debian versions, with different
> source tarballs, but the same filename

If you have to repackage upstreams tarball again, e.g. removing a pdf file, then just change the dfsg part to "dfsg0", "dfsg1", etc.. So you will end up with something like plastimatch_1.5.15+dfsg1.orig.tar.gz

-Dominique