Re: [fis-gtm] ready for upload - needs sponsor

Hi Amul,

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:18:08PM -0500, Amul Shah wrote:
> > Well, in the case above probably the main principle is beeing more
> > verbose in case some open questions are remaining.  In your last mail
> > you have precisely answered these.  Thanks for this and sorry if I was a
> > bit grumpy yesterday night.
>
> [amul] Grumpy is fine. At least we're on the same page now. :)

But excusing for beeing grumpy is even better :-) ... and yes, it is
good that we are both on same track now.

> [amul] IIRC, during the hackathon we (as in everyone present) decided
> to include the release notes since there was no change-log file. We can,
> as you suggest, simply provide a link to the release notes. We have two
> link options below.

I agree that having an upstream changelog if it is inside the download
archive installed into the binary is nice.  Creating extra trouble for
the packager I do not feel that it does more good than harm. (And yes, I
regard it extra trouble if I need to remember to change things manually
on each upgrade and if it happens that a package is rejected from new
since the document has a different license.)

> [amul] All GT.M release notes files from V5.0-000D onward are
> available from the link below. If we place this link in the README, then
> we won't ever need to update the link in the README (yes, I am lazy :).
>   http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/articles/index.html

Lazyness is fine if it is not on users shoulders.  In this case it costs
only one click more while beeing "always up to date" (I bet we would
forget to update the link).  So I added this to README.Debian.

> [amul] With respect to missing the proper license, the web page says the following in the "Legal" section.
>
>   Copyright © 2013 Fidelity Information Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
>   Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts and no Back-Cover Texts.
>   GT.M™ is a trademark of Fidelity Information Services, Inc. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
>   This document contains a description of GT.M and the operating instructions pertaining to the various functions that comprise the system. This document does not contain any commitment of FIS. FIS believes the information in this publication is accurate as of its publication date; such information is subject to change without notice. FIS is not responsible for any errors or defects.:
>
> [amul] IANAL, but the page explicitly calls out the GFDL v1.3. Or does GFDL/Debian rules require that the full license file ship with the documentation?

It is not that there is no license - the license was just missing in
d/copyright.  I even injected this as a first reaction to the rejection
... but later I was wondering why we should carry around all this
licensing text for nothing but a changelog.

> [amul] So with the watch file fixed and this one file switched to a link, is GT.M set for upload?

It is actually uploaded at the time of writing.

BTW, the package contains some patches which I do not regard actually
Debian specific.  You might like to consider injecting them upstream
in your next release.

Thanks for your hints