Re: [fis-gtm] ready for upload - needs sponsor

On Nov 23, 2013, at 4:48 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi Amul,
>
> since my first upload was rejected due to some licensing issue of some
> documentation file we have some chance for an update.  However, I think
> you totally missed the point what we need to build the package.  As I
> said from the beginning the difference between the
> gtm_<version>_linux_i686_pro.tar.gz and
> gtm_<version>_linux_i686_src.tar.gz are not clear to me.  You claimed
> that V60003 would have been the latext fis-gtm version and I can confirm
> that there is
>
>   gtm_V60003_linux_i686_pro.tar.gz
>
> available but this file does not contain the SOURCE.  The latest
> download file which really contains source files is
>
>   gtm_V60001_linux_i686_src.tar.gz
>
> Amul, please pretty please, if you do not understand the principles
> behind packaging just tell us so to enable to be more verbose and to
> teach you.  Providing wrong information is not helpful and drains time
> of others.
>
> After having fixed Git now to fit ftpmasters requirements I'm idling
> until I get reliable information about the latest upstream source for
> download.  If I do not see any newer source than 60001 for download
> until Wednesday next week I will reupload this version to not loose more
> time.  As I said we can upload later new versions way more quickly once
> the package might have passed the new queue.
>
> Kind regards
>
>      Andreas.

[snip]

Hi Andreas,
Getting rejected has some benefits. :)

To clarify, the GT.M binary archive has never shipped with the sources. Previously, we uploaded to SourceForge two archives per platform, one for the binaries and one for the sources. FIS releases GT.M as open source on VMS and Linux IA32 and x86_64. As part of the after hackathon (many thanks to Luis, Brad and Yaroslav for their help then and afterwards) todo items, I merged all sources into one unified tar archive containing the sources for Linux (IA32 and x86_64) and VMS.

The binary archives are available from the following links:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-amd64-Linux/V6.0-003/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux/V6.0-003/

The source archive is available from the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux-src/V6.0-003/

The same sources are also available via SourceForge CVS.

I have a strong feeling that I’m not saying anything new to you.

With respect to not understanding the principles behind packaging, I would say that I don’t know what the principles are. Hence no understanding. For that I apologize.  My knowledge is completely adhoc.

To get this going forward, do I need to push the archive somewhere as part of the GIT repository? Or is it the watch file that needs fixing?

Is FIS expected to ship binaries and sources in the same archive for Debian packaging?

thanks,
Amul