Re: [fis-gtm] ready for upload - needs sponsor

Hi Amul,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:42:39AM -0400, Amul Shah wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> I checked my directories and I was using SVN and not GIT.

Huh?  The only thing in Alioth SVN is this:

   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm/trunk/README.status?view=markup

So if you are *really* using SVN you probably have a > one year old
checkout. :-(

> SourceForge, the upstream repo, is at V6.0-003. debmed's SVN repo is at V6.0-001.

Well, I'm noticing now that the watch file did not reported this since
it was trying to match

   http://sf.net/fis-gtm/gtm_V(.*)_linux_i686_src\.tar\.gz
                                              ^^^

and now the source seems to be named

   http://sf.net/fis-gtm/gtm_V(.*)_linux_i686_pro\.tar\.gz
                                              ^^^

Or is this again a misunderstanding.  At least until
gtm_V60001_linux_i686_src.tar.gz there is this "_src" in the end but
for larger versions the watch file can only find "_pro".

Please, pretty please keep us informed about things like this.  We (as
in Debian Med) told you that we have not the slightest idea about
fis-gtm and if the trouble we are facing with fis-gtm starts with
research concerning name conventions that's kind of hard for us to
make some reasonable job.

The sense of my mail five days ago was to get some last confirmation
from you whether everything is up to date.  In future cases please leave
us *any* answer - some "I don't know. I'm swamped with work" is also an
answer.

> I'm still working on recollecting where I left off.

Please be as verbose as possible about any problem you might face.  Luis
mentioned some login problems (which I do not remember).  Just let us
know any hurdle you need to take.

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 7:25 PM, Amul Shah <amul@amulz.com> wrote:
>
> Did you upload from Git or did you upload from SVN?

See above

> Did you commit your changes?

I *always* commit my changes (modulo I might forget in some rare
accidents).  I even now created a new changelog entry for 6.0-003 with
a watch file that finds the new version - but as I said I have no idea
about this "_src versus _pro" thingy.

> While I have new man pages.

Manpages are good.  You can just commit these to Git and we can upload
everything straight after the fis-gtm package might have hit Debian
unstable.

> Any new user to GT.M is always going to have a steep learning curve.

I admit I do not even try to learn GT.M - I only try to create
reasonable packages for the user.  Making a reasonable package includes
some documentation for random Debian users to detect quickly that this
package is not for them.  Providing no documentation makes it hard to do
even this. :-)

> Luis, thanks for getting us started with a README.

Feel free to commit everything that looks helpful.

> If I recall correctly, the last version of GTM in git is V6.0-002. I will upgrade to latest version tonight.

Just always remember to be verbose about stumbling stones.