Re: getting some R packages into Debian

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Andreas Tille wrote:

Hi Faheem,

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:19:02AM +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
I never got a reply to this email.

I hoped that my answer at

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2013/08/msg00011.html

would have clarified that you could perfectly follow Debian Med
policy to add the R packages in question.  Charles also hat
answered here:

I hope that my document about *.rda packages here

 https://wiki.debian.org/GNU_R

might cause some twist in ftpmasters mind.  I recently had uploaded
r-bioc-graph which also included *.rda files but it was rejected for a
different reason because some copyright statement was missing.

My specific question is:

I'm using the following R packages, which are not currently in
Debian, as described in the email below.

yaml
gridExtra
RPostgreSQL
tikzDevice
RJSONIO

If I want to get them into Debian via debian-med, what should I do?

Just follow Debian Med policy as suggested previously and make sure you
are checking out the various other examples of R packages we just have
in VCS.

Would putting the packaging into some debian-med repository be a
good start? Thanks,

Yes, please do.  This would be very welcome.

Thanks, Andreas, that is very helpful, particularly the https://wiki.debian.org/GNU_R link.

Question 1: tikzDevice was removed from CRAN for technical reasons, and the package development appears to have stalled, but it is still a very useful (indeed, indispensible for its purpose) package. Will this be a problem re Debian packaging?

Question 2: http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#repositories only talks about Subversion and Git. Given that choice, I'd definitely go with Git, but is Mercurial out as an option?

I actually followed up on r-cran-munsell. I think Benjamin Eikel had the ball last, but didn't get a very helpful response from the last people he talked to. Benjamin, what is your next move on this?

                                                          Regards, Faheem