Re: Data Licensing

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 05:39:59PM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:

> Le 18 juin 2013 à 17:34, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>
> > Just my two cents, GPL and/or LGPL are mostly related to code (notion
> > of 'shared' lib). I would either check one of our french license
> > CeCILL A/B/C or maybe creative commons which are more oriented with
> > data stuff.
>
> Yes GPL/LGPL are for the code. I need to enlighten the future debate
> of the licensing choice for the scientific data.  Do you have any
> notion about OpenData ?
>
> CC licenses are not compatible with DFSG I think.

As Mathieu pointed out, that is not the case in general.  Also, I
believe CC0 (public-domain-like) is considered especially appropriate
for data licensing in the OpenData community, but I don't have any links
to back that up right now.

I am pointing this out here for future reference although it probably
runs against their "attribution" requirement in this specific case.

Michael