Re: Flexbar source code?

Hi Johannes,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:47:48AM +0100, Johannes Röhr wrote:
> ok, the plan sounds reasonable.

OK.

> Besides these issues, I consider to
> include the tbb lib in the source tarball to make it easy for those who
> download it for compilation. As far as I understood the tbb could be
> dropped by the patch for packaging based on tarball, right? Or would
> this complicate the packaging process or be against conventions?

We do often find tarballs containing convenience copies of certain
libraries.  In most cases it is possible to use a configuration option
to use this copy or a system library.  Debian currently has version
4.0+r233 (package libtbb-dev).  If this is the same / a compatible
version as you intend to include there should be no problems to expect.

In the specific case of flexbar I'm lacking enough knowledge for cmake
build system.  I would consider the following options (prefered in this
ranking):

  1. Let cmake check whether libtbb is installed on the system and use
     this if yes
  2. Provide a switch that enables forcing the usage of libtbb installed
     on the system
  3. Patch CMakeLists.txt to ignore the convenience copy and take the
     system libtbb

Options 1. and 2. enable us the packaging without applying extra patches
which would simplify things on our side but might possibly put some
extra work on your shoulders (which you would not have otherwise when
ignoring our packaging attempt.)  As I said I have no cmake experience
and can not tell how much work this might be but in any case I could ask
on some other list (debian-mentors) for the changes that might be
needed.  So if you would be willing to distribute flexbar source
implementing 1. or 2. I could try to work out a patch that does exactly
this.  If you think 3. should be the way to go this is a fallback
option for us.

> Thank you a lot for the help!

Thanks for your cooperation