Re: Flexbar source code?

Hi Tony,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 03:09:01PM +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
> >rsync -aP flexbar_v2.31_src.tgz ajtravis-guest@alioth.debian.org:src/Flexbar/

I fetched it from there successfully.

> Perhaps it should have gone into:
>
>   ~/incoming
>
> Please let me know what the Alioth etiquette is for doing uploads.

There is no such thing like an etiquette for your Alioth home directory.
Providing things there is not the usual way to go (I personally never
did) but it worked in this specific case.

> I've not used Git myself, other than to check-out other people's
> sources. I'm happy to use either git or svn for the "flexbar"
> package.

So I might decide depending from the outcome of this source tarball
decision.  If we need to change it in some way perhaps Git might be the
better choice.

Before I come to the tarball itself:  I do not consider it a clever way
if you exchange provate mails with upstream author and by doing so
proxying mail discussion.  Upstream can post in public to the list (his
mail address will be uncovered to spammers thought) without subscribing
and we can CC him.

For the tarball itself I have two remarks:

  1. It would be a good idea to include a file COPYING containing the
     license statement.

  2. A really large part of the source tarball is a convenience copy of
     the seqan library which is also packages in seqan-dev package.
     Usually we try strongly to build packages against Debian packaged
     libraries and thus I would be very happy if we could drop the
     seqan code (by at the same time tweaking src/CMakeLists.txt to
     regard the Debian packaged seqan.)  Unfortunately the included
     copy has some indifferent state - it is way younger than the latest
     official seqan release (1.3.1) which is packaged.  So the question
     remains whether flexbar will really build with Debian's seqan
     package.  It is the duty of the Debian maintainer of flexbar to
     find this out (either by testing himself or by asking upstream.)