Re: seq-gen appears to be non-free

On 03/28/2012 02:25 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:00:38PM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>
>> I did that partially:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/01/msg00241.html
>> Andrew Rambaut answered (ignoring CC to debian-med) that He has
>> permission from Yang to use this code, which is useless for us in
>> licensing question.
>>
> OK, thanks for the clarification.
>

>> Zhieng Yang asks to use a forum for questions and bug reports, so there
>> was no easy way to CC to debian-med.
>> Here is the thread:
>> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9306
>>
> Thanks for the link.  Stupid clash of incompatible communication
> channels, but you did right to ask there - thanks for your effort.

>>> Depending on your answer to my question above it is probably
>>> contrib/science and yes if paml can not be freed this would be the way
>>> to go.
>>>

>> Good, than I will prepare the package for non-free.
>>
> Unfortunately there seems to be no work around.  I have two remaining
> remarks:
>
>   1. It seems that parts of PAML should be moved to a library (considering
>      the fact that you suspect that several projects might use this code).

As far as I see it is not correct for seq-gen package.
The header in files mentioned in debian/copyright has statement that the
code is taken from the PAML package, but in the PAML distribution I
couldn't find files with similar names.
It seems that only some parts of code are taken from PAML and I don't
see how making PAML a library can help in this case.
But it can be true for other packages if they exist.

>   2. I'm sad to see the pool of our packages in non-free growing.  It will
>      increase our maintenance burden and we should really try hard and
>      regularly talk to upstream to change their license.  I'm a bit sad
>      that our PhyLip effort started at SouthPort[1] was basically ignored.
>      I wished that people have an opinion on this if they read this list.
>      It would help if people who not consider signing (which is fine for
>      sure) could explicitely state their reasons for not doing so to
>      let those, who are convinced about the petition might make aware about
>      flaws in their approach.  I would really like to seek with higher
>      effort for successful methods to convince upstream authors.
>
> Kind regards
>
>     Andreas.
>

> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Southport2012/ePetition_Phylip

Best regards,