Re: seq-gen appears to be non-free

On 03/28/2012 11:21 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:16:00AM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>
>> we have seq-gen 1.3.2 uploaded to debian, but it turns out that it
>> depends on PAML [0],[1] which is non-free.
>>
> Could you please be a bit more about "Depends".  Is it including
> code of paml or just depends from the package (which would make
> seq-gen rather be a target for contrib than for non-free)?

Depends on code from PAML:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/seq-gen/trunk/debian/copyright?view=markup

>> I contacted both upstream and author of PAML [2] asking about
>> possibility to change the license, but unfortunately I didn't get any
>> answer from Professor Yang.
>>
> It is always a good idea to CC debian-med mailing list about those
> attempts just to have a record about this.  Because this was not yet
> done, perhaps you might foreward me a copy and I try "independently"
> from you again which might make the request more urgent.

I did that partially:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/01/msg00241.html
Andrew Rambaut answered (ignoring CC to debian-med) that He has
permission from Yang to use this code, which is useless for us in
licensing question.

Zhieng Yang asks to use a forum for questions and bug reports, so there
was no easy way to CC to debian-med.
Here is the thread:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9306

>> I would like to upload the new version of seq-gen (current watch file is
>> broken) because there is some number of users according popcon statistics.
>> How should I proceed now ? simply change section to non-free/science in
>> the debian/control and upload the new version?
>>
> Depending on your answer to my question above it is probably
> contrib/science and yes if paml can not be freed this would be the way
> to go.

Good, than I will prepare the package for non-free.
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

Thank you,
Alex