Re: Are we relevant under terms of "free bioinformatics software"

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 02:15:16PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Agreed. And then there is this ever-lasting issue about the uncertainty
> what our home page should be.

IMHO the reason for success of Debian Med is the fact that it is
perfectly integrated inside Debian.  To stress this fact I see no good
reason to drop the homepage inside www.debian.org.  I perfectly admit
that the page itself did not changed very much over the last 10 years
(modulo some random updates and news messages - but no new quality of
usage) and I have no real idea how we could do better inside the scope
of the debian-www technique.

> Personally, I do not mind to leave much of the direct user interaction
> with BioLinux, much like Ubuntu taking a lot from us.

I added to the links section (feel free to enhance/correct):

  • Debian Med is working closely together with Bio-Linux. While Bio-Linux is
    based on Ubuntu LTS releases the packages of biologic scope are maintained
    inside Debian by the Debian Med team.

However, I think gaining for user interest directly into Debian Med
should not be underestimated (even if I perfectly admit that the
Bio-Linux homepage is way more catchy than the Debian Med one).

> I am more concerned about the synchronicity of our packaging.

I think since the sprints we made a big move here and I'm really
positive for the future.

> So, once we have done our keywords and descriptions homework, we should
> possibly add the one or other link from our home pages. I'll just add
> something to wiki.debian.org/DebianMed, www.debian.org/devel/debian-med,
> debian-med.alioth.debian.org and nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/,And
> then. Well, let's see how it goes. At least http://bio-linux.org/ knows
> about us :)

Hmmm, you mean it helps if a page that contains a lot of 404-Links has
some importance to users and it helps if we are linked there?  It is
not obvious whom to contact about those quite useless link collection.

I'd love if Bio-Linux could fetch the page from its current owners ...