Re: [MoM] Summary of first mentoring period

Hi Andreas,

I have committed my changes.

On Mar 7, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:

> So you are working on stable which is fine.  Please try
>
>  apt-cache policy lintian
>
> It should mention newer versions for testing and unstable.  If not
> please adapt your sources.list to also mention those distributions.
> However, you need to make sure that your system is not spoiled and
> you can usually do this by
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 501
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 101
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 5
>

> Or something like this (see man apt_preferences).  This enables you to
> install for instance lintian from unstable via:
>
>  apt-get install -t unstable lintian
>
> Even more clever is to do the following:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-linitan.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-debian-policy.pref
> Package: lintian
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 605
> Package: debian-policy
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 605
>

> This ensures that you always have the latest lintian and debian-policy
> packages installed on your stable system.

Yes, okay this sounds familiar.  I had updated /etc/apt/preferences awhile back so that I had access to testing and unstable.  However, trying to install lintian from unstable gives me errors.

or been moved out of Incoming.

 initscripts : Breaks: console-setup (< 1.74) but 1.68+squeeze2 is to be installed
               Breaks: nfs-common (< 1:1.2.5-3) but 1:1.2.2-4squeeze2 is to be installed
 libgnome-keyring0 : Breaks: gnome-keyring (< 3.0) but 2.30.3-5 is to be installed
 network-manager : Recommends: crda but it is not going to be installed
                   Breaks: network-manager-gnome (< 0.9) but 0.8.1-2 is to be installed

So I guess this means that I need some other packages from unstable.  I tried:

apt-get install -t unstable gnome-keyring

and it wants to install over 300 packages!  I remember the last time I tried doing this, my system became unbootable and had to reinstall from scratch.  Luckily now I work with virtual machines, so I'm gonna make a copy, then try updating all of this stuff to see if it actually works.

cheers
Scott