Re: [MoM] Summary of first mentoring period

Hello Andreas,

Thank you, I will definitely take up your offer for some MoM training to finalize the swarm package.

I have committed all of my local changes, and here is the status of the package:

* The source compiles correctly and the libswarm2 and libswarm2-dev packages get built.

* There are lintian issues that need to be resolved:

W: libswarm source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends libswarm2-dev
W: libswarm source: newer-standards-version 3.9.2 (current is 3.9.1)
W: libswarm2-dev: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/libtool-swarm
W: libswarm2-dev: script-not-executable ./usr/share/swarm/swarmrc
W: libswarm2: shlib-with-executable-stack usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0
W: libswarm2: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0 usr/lib/libswarm.so
W: libswarm2: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libswarmobjc.so.0.0.0 usr/lib/libswarmobjc.so
E: libswarm2: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0 /usr/lib

* There is a bug with BLT [1] that has been fixed in Ubuntu [2], while it does not effect the building of the swarm package, it will prevent swarm applications from running.  I've tried pinging the bug and the BLT maintainer, but no response.

There are a number of additional todo items:

* Swarm comes with a set of sample applications, provided in a separate swarmapps source tarball.  While they are free-standing apps by themselves, they are meant to be a starting point for modelers for writing their own swarm models.  It would be nice to package them up.

* Currently I am only building the ObjC library, there is also a java library.

* Coming down the pipe from upstream is a Swarm V3 that has major architectural changes and is not backward compatible with libswarm2.

That's all I can think of for now.  I think maybe resolving the lintian issues might be the first thing to tackle.

cheers
Scott

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=524149
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/blt/+bug/359857