Re: [MoM] Summary of first mentoring period

Hi Scott,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:32:08AM -0600, Scott Christley wrote:
> Thank you, I will definitely take up your offer for some MoM training to finalize the swarm package.

Great.

> I have committed all of my local changes, and here is the status of the package:

I have limited time this weekend, but will try to give short answers.

> * The source compiles correctly and the libswarm2 and libswarm2-dev packages get built.

Fine.

> * There are lintian issues that need to be resolved:
>
> W: libswarm source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends libswarm2-dev
> W: libswarm source: newer-standards-version 3.9.2 (current is 3.9.1)
> W: libswarm2-dev: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/libtool-swarm
> W: libswarm2-dev: script-not-executable ./usr/share/swarm/swarmrc

IMHO these are simple to fix when considering the hints you get
with

    lintian -i

Just tell me if something remains unclear.

> W: libswarm2: shlib-with-executable-stack usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0

I have never seen this, need some time to investigate.

> W: libswarm2: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0 usr/lib/libswarm.so
> W: libswarm2: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libswarmobjc.so.0.0.0 usr/lib/libswarmobjc.so

Those links just belong to -dev package.

> E: libswarm2: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/lib/libswarm.so.2.4.0 /usr/lib

Try to make sense out of it by reading lintian -i and the according page
at wiki.debian.org.

> * There is a bug with BLT [1] that has been fixed in Ubuntu [2], while it does not effect the building of the swarm package, it will prevent swarm applications from running.  I've tried pinging the bug and the BLT maintainer, but no response.

I'll check this.

> There are a number of additional todo items:
>
> * Swarm comes with a set of sample applications, provided in a separate swarmapps source tarball.  While they are free-standing apps by themselves, they are meant to be a starting point for modelers for writing their own swarm models.  It would be nice to package them up.

Sounds reasonable.

> * Currently I am only building the ObjC library, there is also a java library.

We have some packages doing Java lib in addition (libhmsbeagle comes to
mind - perhaps taking this as an example might help).

> * Coming down the pipe from upstream is a Swarm V3 that has major architectural changes and is not backward compatible with libswarm2.

I have no idea about Swarm itself.  Do you think it makes sense to
package libswarm2 or would it be better to just start with V3 inside
Debian?  (That's a plain question - I have no idea about the
applications which might need V2 explicitely.)

> That's all I can think of for now.  I think maybe resolving the lintian issues might be the first thing to tackle.

Yes.  Seems quite straightforeward for most of the lintian issues - if
not just ask what might remain unclear.

Nice to have another MoM student

      Andreas.