Re: Uploading Praat 3.5.35-1

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:12:11AM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> >Uploading to experimental in freeze time is handled in Debian Med
> >team the same way but we did not used a different branch.  I'd
> >consider this interesting however, you might blame my Git beginner
> >status responsible for not understanding how you upgrade from
> >experimental to unstable once stable is released.  Will you merge
> >the experimental branch with master then or will you simply move
> >on in master branch (targeting at unstable) by ignoring the
> >changelog entries done meanwhile in experimental.  I would not
> >like the latter because this would be a loss of information for
> >non-Git users just looking at the package changelog.
>
> I think that merging experimental and master is the appropriate way
> of handling it, since the entries of both branches will appear in
> debian/changelog.

OK.  For those who care about the Git workflow in our team policy
document[1]:  Would you consider adding the way the Debian Octave team
is handling the experimental branch to this document.  (And if you agree
in principle but have time constraints please ping me.)

> >>I do not know how familiar you are with the git-buildpackage
> >>framework, but here are the commands that should work for
> >>building the new version in the experimental branch:
> >>
> >>gbp-pull git pull --all git checkout experimental git-dch
> >>--ignore-branch git-buildpackage --git-ignore-new
> >
> >I rather used
> >
> >git-buildpackage --git-debian-branch=experimental
> >
> >and I guess this is what you intended to write, right?
>
> Yes, I think this is similar.

Similar?  No, `git-buildpackage --git-ignore-new` did not worked
for me and I've got the hint that I should use

   git-buildpackage --git-ignore-branch
                                 ^^^^^^
but I somehow considered specifying the branch explicitely would
be the more clean solution.

> >Done and uploaded.
>
> Thanks!

No problem.  I somehow have the feeling that you will come back to
Debian fully and will do the uploads yourself sooner or later. ;-)

> >As far as I understood you have some contact to upstream.  I
> >wonder whether they might like to include the two quilt patches.
>
> Yes, Paul Boersma and I are researchers working in the same domain
> (speech production/perception) and we even meet at scientific
> meetings from time to time.  I will ask him about the quilt patches,
> even though they are quite Debian-specific.

I do not think that appending CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS instead of overriding or
respecting LDFLAGS is anyhow Debian specific but rather good Makefile
practice.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html