Re: Packaging code for psipred (Was: r11983 - in trunk/packages: . psipred psipred/trunk psipred/trunk/debian psipred/trunk/debian/patches psipred/trunk/debian/source)

Hello all,

On 08/04/2012 06:21 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 02:32:48PM +0000, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> Author: moeller
>> Date: 2012-08-03 14:32:48 +0000 (Fri, 03 Aug 2012)
>> New Revision: 11983
>>
>> Log:
>> Adding build instructions for psipred - another of those tools besides
>> VMD or Rosetta that cannot be redistributed in our distribution but
>> ships with source code.
>
> Could you please be more verbose about this.

http://debianmed.blogspot.de/2011/04/debian-med-individuals-expertize-and.html

I installed I-TASSER locally because of the 1500AA limit of the
I-TASSER web interface. And I-TASSER requests the installation of psipred.

> Do we want to advertise the packaging on the tasks pages - if yes I would
> suggest to use
>
> Files: *
> Copyright: 1995-2012 David T. Jones, UCL, London <xxx>
> License: non-redistributable
>
> because the license short name will be printed on the tasks page.

This is a nice idea. Yes, we should. Could we have that as
"non-redistributable source code"
or something better?

> Did anybody try or does anybody intend to try asking upstream authors
> for a more liberal licence?

I kind of have, yesterday, but it certainly helps if someone else asks again.
We should not care too much, though, since with the PredictProtein suite
we have such a secondary structure prediction somewhere with us already.
I cannot name the exact tool, but Laszlo can.

Many thanks and regards,

Steffen